Ever since I was a freshman, I attended the seniors' graduation, each time thinking "Crud, mine's getting nearer...". But, I never thought that time would fly by so fast. Last night, it was all over.
Each time, I always liked the ceremony, the rose offering thing being one of the cutest. But I never really saw how brilliant it really was, until I was the one graduating. Despite the fact I was one rehearsal day short (and thus, had to keep re-clarifying how to go up and down the stage, with a fear that I would trip, because I did during rehearsal), I felt it. It doesn't take tears (because note that I just cannot cry) to show that. Anxiety. Excitement. Nostalgia. Fulfillment. Love for my batch. The heat of the gym and caking make up was forgotten, thankfully.
Kudos to Patty's dad and Pola, whose speeches basically said everything that could be said about graduation. People say high school life is the best four years of your life. And for what it's worth, I'm proud of those years. If I would re-live high school, I wouldn't change a thing.
Dear batch 2008,
I can't believe it's been eleven years. That long time ago, we were lost little six year olds, the babies of the entire school. I remember taking the school tour thing, and we ran into the seniors, who seemed to tower above us.
And now, we're on the other end of it all, baptizing ourselves as "superseniors". At the start of the year, I remember how obsessed we were with our seniority. We'd laugh on why underclassmen didn't want to use our bathroom, how we were first in assemblies, and how some people just seemed to move in the cafeteria a la parting of the red sea when we were around.
When you look at the span of time from those cowering first graders to the super seniors we call ourselves now, it's safe to say that we've come a long way.
We've been accused of being academically weak, remember the time the awardees were countable by our fingers during the first quarter of first year? We used to be so pressured by the achievements of the batch above us, with nine gold awardees at graduation to match.
We've been accused of being uncontrollable, such as the times wherein sanctions actually existed? Or the time in which Ms. Aquino had to sermon-ize IIA?
But after eleven long years, we've pulled it off, and we've proven ourselves in more ways than we could imagine. Who'd ever think we'd have that passing rate in Ateneo? That we'd no longer become that faculty's worst nightmare? Or that we'd be the leading voices behind school spirit? That legacy is ours, batch 2008.
Yup, we've grown so much over eleven years.
It wasn't always so easy. Each high school year, we swore that it couldn't get any harder. We were proven wrong the next year, and the year after that. We struggled with failing marks, trying to be fluent in Pinoy for the first time in our lives, and rigid time constraints. We cracked under pressures of hell weeks, hell months, sleepless nights, barkada fights, promblems, and the regular troubles of growing up. But if there's anything we can be proud of, it's that we didn't give up. We wouldn't have stood onstage last night if we did.
And within the span of those eleven years, and through those times wherein we thought we'd just give up, we grew to love each other. In this batch, everyone knew everyone. We could still feel at home even with members out of our barkada. We found friends in our seatmates, groupmates, and teammates. We did struggle, but we did so together.
It's hard to believe that next year will be different. There's no other school that we can freely sleep in the corridors during breaks, stage fake boycotts, and kiss and hug each other randomly (without anyone thinking it's weird). No more online conferences until the sun rises, off key happy birthday renditions, and struggling to understand matter and form.
Every one of the 88 diplomas were the product of all our eyebags and sleep withdrawals. To the awardees, those medals and certificates and plaques are all well deserved.
I love you, batch 2008, and I couldn't be more proud of us. I wouldn't be part of any other batch. I was glad to have been your batchmate. The college world waits for us to kick ass, just as how we always do. :)
If you happen to be a part of batch 2008 (yes, even if you skipped the letter part due it's extreme length), please find the time to comment. I'd super appreciate it.
Each time, I always liked the ceremony, the rose offering thing being one of the cutest. But I never really saw how brilliant it really was, until I was the one graduating. Despite the fact I was one rehearsal day short (and thus, had to keep re-clarifying how to go up and down the stage, with a fear that I would trip, because I did during rehearsal), I felt it. It doesn't take tears (because note that I just cannot cry) to show that. Anxiety. Excitement. Nostalgia. Fulfillment. Love for my batch. The heat of the gym and caking make up was forgotten, thankfully.
Kudos to Patty's dad and Pola, whose speeches basically said everything that could be said about graduation. People say high school life is the best four years of your life. And for what it's worth, I'm proud of those years. If I would re-live high school, I wouldn't change a thing.
Dear batch 2008,
I can't believe it's been eleven years. That long time ago, we were lost little six year olds, the babies of the entire school. I remember taking the school tour thing, and we ran into the seniors, who seemed to tower above us.
And now, we're on the other end of it all, baptizing ourselves as "superseniors". At the start of the year, I remember how obsessed we were with our seniority. We'd laugh on why underclassmen didn't want to use our bathroom, how we were first in assemblies, and how some people just seemed to move in the cafeteria a la parting of the red sea when we were around.
When you look at the span of time from those cowering first graders to the super seniors we call ourselves now, it's safe to say that we've come a long way.
We've been accused of being academically weak, remember the time the awardees were countable by our fingers during the first quarter of first year? We used to be so pressured by the achievements of the batch above us, with nine gold awardees at graduation to match.
We've been accused of being uncontrollable, such as the times wherein sanctions actually existed? Or the time in which Ms. Aquino had to sermon-ize IIA?
But after eleven long years, we've pulled it off, and we've proven ourselves in more ways than we could imagine. Who'd ever think we'd have that passing rate in Ateneo? That we'd no longer become that faculty's worst nightmare? Or that we'd be the leading voices behind school spirit? That legacy is ours, batch 2008.
Yup, we've grown so much over eleven years.
It wasn't always so easy. Each high school year, we swore that it couldn't get any harder. We were proven wrong the next year, and the year after that. We struggled with failing marks, trying to be fluent in Pinoy for the first time in our lives, and rigid time constraints. We cracked under pressures of hell weeks, hell months, sleepless nights, barkada fights, promblems, and the regular troubles of growing up. But if there's anything we can be proud of, it's that we didn't give up. We wouldn't have stood onstage last night if we did.
And within the span of those eleven years, and through those times wherein we thought we'd just give up, we grew to love each other. In this batch, everyone knew everyone. We could still feel at home even with members out of our barkada. We found friends in our seatmates, groupmates, and teammates. We did struggle, but we did so together.
It's hard to believe that next year will be different. There's no other school that we can freely sleep in the corridors during breaks, stage fake boycotts, and kiss and hug each other randomly (without anyone thinking it's weird). No more online conferences until the sun rises, off key happy birthday renditions, and struggling to understand matter and form.
Every one of the 88 diplomas were the product of all our eyebags and sleep withdrawals. To the awardees, those medals and certificates and plaques are all well deserved.
I love you, batch 2008, and I couldn't be more proud of us. I wouldn't be part of any other batch. I was glad to have been your batchmate. The college world waits for us to kick ass, just as how we always do. :)
If you happen to be a part of batch 2008 (yes, even if you skipped the letter part due it's extreme length), please find the time to comment. I'd super appreciate it.



Comments