The best 3 weeks of my life... could have possibly been Oxford. The best 10 days of my life... could have possibly been Spain. The best 2 months of my life... could have possibly been the preparation of Wicked... the best 3 hours of my life... could have possibly been watching Wicked in the NY Gershwin... but the best 5 days of my life... is most definitely Sept.1-5, in Victor's words: "The 4th annual National Asians High School Debate Championship"
The varsity was suuuuper training for this thing for MONTHS, but because of the schoolwide epidemic... only 9 people ended up seeing the entire tourney through, which was completely juniors and seniors.
Major highlights of this year's NAsH DC... even with 6 debaters with the cold and one crippled debater... :)
1. Oprah marathons - thanks to Miss Quesada!! For three nights, no matter how tired we were, we would sit in the living room of Tahilan and watch Oprah, ung 20th anniv. 6 disk ed., and come to the conclusion that "We love Oprah!!"... "I look like I was dressed by a drag queen." and "What did you do today? Oh, I gave away 276 cars..."
2. The "insecurity phrase" - being Kathy Navs partner has finally rubbed off on me after IDEA 1, IISDC, and CMLI... :) the famous phrase "you know" is now in my vocabulary. Out of boredom, Mica Pena tallied the number of times I said it in my reply speech in the quarters... and that's 32 times in four minutes!! :) For those who don't know, insecurity phrases are that which you say when you feel insecure about your debate speech. "actually" is Pola's and Giovanna's. "ladies and gentlemen" is Mica Pena's.... but dudes, it doesn't match the ever popular "Mr. chair and members of this house" predominantly found among every other school. (shoot, I'm still talking in debate lingo...)
3. Fortune telling with panty liner cards - now, I am supposedly going to attend prom with an SR freshman debater who will have a tux that is color coordinated with my dress. However, I will ditch him and he shall ditch me midway thru the night. And I will spend a lot of time in the bathroom because... you know. :) And Chrissa will be taking a barok sounding adjudicator and will be wearing a trail train dress. And that adj will get together with one of her friends.
4. Camhorring - you can never get away with this with anyone. The debate varsity is just as bad as any other org in WR. The break night pictures definitely prove it... :)
5. Gaba's public speaking - this girl was the champion of NAsH DC!! "If I were the ghost of Pope John Paul II, I would go belly dancing!" and declaring her love for Patrick Cocabo, which 3 other finalists did, and talking about banana peels, Winnie the Pooh being a glutton, and pies! Let's go Gaba!! You definitely deserve it, pie-girl!
6. The most awesome results - we made WR debate history! This is the first time all 3 teams broke in a national tournament, with 3rd, 5th, and 11th place! Those three got into the top 8 teams that made the quarter finals, and WR B, giovs bea and nav, made it to the semi finals!! We were this close to being televised!! :) And Gabs won public speaking!! And plus, mega congrats to Pola as 10th best speaker, and Giovs and Mica for 6th best speakers!!
7. Mommy Bianca - suuuper thanks to Bianca Lagdameo, for accompanying us thruout the tourney, for requesting that Mica Pena and her team (me!) stay in the convening room to save prep time, and for being optimistic!! We love you, even when you didn't say a word when we were dying and you knew that we all made quarters!!
8. The infamous "DEBATE BUBBLE!" - the past five days suuuuuper made me, along with the 8 other people, re-love debate, if not love it for the first time! Debate is not just about the debate it self, but all the other things that happen in between. To the seniors, I love you guys so much for being encouraging, and super entertaining!! I'm super glad that I got to debate with you for 2 years! To the juniors, I have to MEGA thank you all for agreeing to help save what I really thought was a dying varsity!! Now, I "know that you know" what debate's super all about!! :) Here's to optional religion classes, extreme sports, naturalized presidential candidates, mandatory nursing services. manned space exploration, military tribunals, children's cartoons, US intervention, abolishing the WTO, civilian structures, and the parliamentary system!! Let's go guys!! This is our year!! IISDC na toh!!
... On a side note, I have missed a round total of 8 quizzes, dozens of homework, and lessons. There can't be anyone in batch 2008 who is more academically lost than me. And who will be, considering choir clinic and IISDC... :) but really, it's well worth it!!! :) debate, chorale, and the 'kads, you're the ones that keep making me go to school! :)
The varsity was suuuuper training for this thing for MONTHS, but because of the schoolwide epidemic... only 9 people ended up seeing the entire tourney through, which was completely juniors and seniors.
Major highlights of this year's NAsH DC... even with 6 debaters with the cold and one crippled debater... :)
1. Oprah marathons - thanks to Miss Quesada!! For three nights, no matter how tired we were, we would sit in the living room of Tahilan and watch Oprah, ung 20th anniv. 6 disk ed., and come to the conclusion that "We love Oprah!!"... "I look like I was dressed by a drag queen." and "What did you do today? Oh, I gave away 276 cars..."
2. The "insecurity phrase" - being Kathy Navs partner has finally rubbed off on me after IDEA 1, IISDC, and CMLI... :) the famous phrase "you know" is now in my vocabulary. Out of boredom, Mica Pena tallied the number of times I said it in my reply speech in the quarters... and that's 32 times in four minutes!! :) For those who don't know, insecurity phrases are that which you say when you feel insecure about your debate speech. "actually" is Pola's and Giovanna's. "ladies and gentlemen" is Mica Pena's.... but dudes, it doesn't match the ever popular "Mr. chair and members of this house" predominantly found among every other school. (shoot, I'm still talking in debate lingo...)
3. Fortune telling with panty liner cards - now, I am supposedly going to attend prom with an SR freshman debater who will have a tux that is color coordinated with my dress. However, I will ditch him and he shall ditch me midway thru the night. And I will spend a lot of time in the bathroom because... you know. :) And Chrissa will be taking a barok sounding adjudicator and will be wearing a trail train dress. And that adj will get together with one of her friends.
4. Camhorring - you can never get away with this with anyone. The debate varsity is just as bad as any other org in WR. The break night pictures definitely prove it... :)
5. Gaba's public speaking - this girl was the champion of NAsH DC!! "If I were the ghost of Pope John Paul II, I would go belly dancing!" and declaring her love for Patrick Cocabo, which 3 other finalists did, and talking about banana peels, Winnie the Pooh being a glutton, and pies! Let's go Gaba!! You definitely deserve it, pie-girl!
6. The most awesome results - we made WR debate history! This is the first time all 3 teams broke in a national tournament, with 3rd, 5th, and 11th place! Those three got into the top 8 teams that made the quarter finals, and WR B, giovs bea and nav, made it to the semi finals!! We were this close to being televised!! :) And Gabs won public speaking!! And plus, mega congrats to Pola as 10th best speaker, and Giovs and Mica for 6th best speakers!!
7. Mommy Bianca - suuuper thanks to Bianca Lagdameo, for accompanying us thruout the tourney, for requesting that Mica Pena and her team (me!) stay in the convening room to save prep time, and for being optimistic!! We love you, even when you didn't say a word when we were dying and you knew that we all made quarters!!
8. The infamous "DEBATE BUBBLE!" - the past five days suuuuuper made me, along with the 8 other people, re-love debate, if not love it for the first time! Debate is not just about the debate it self, but all the other things that happen in between. To the seniors, I love you guys so much for being encouraging, and super entertaining!! I'm super glad that I got to debate with you for 2 years! To the juniors, I have to MEGA thank you all for agreeing to help save what I really thought was a dying varsity!! Now, I "know that you know" what debate's super all about!! :) Here's to optional religion classes, extreme sports, naturalized presidential candidates, mandatory nursing services. manned space exploration, military tribunals, children's cartoons, US intervention, abolishing the WTO, civilian structures, and the parliamentary system!! Let's go guys!! This is our year!! IISDC na toh!!
... On a side note, I have missed a round total of 8 quizzes, dozens of homework, and lessons. There can't be anyone in batch 2008 who is more academically lost than me. And who will be, considering choir clinic and IISDC... :) but really, it's well worth it!!! :) debate, chorale, and the 'kads, you're the ones that keep making me go to school! :)
Comments